Thursday, November 29, 2007

To study or not to study? That is the question.

I have approximately 10 minutes to decide whether or not I want to go play water polo tonight. Considering the low level of play and the fact that it is rainy and gross and cold outside, I am probably not going to go. Such is the life of a lazy bum.

I figure now is a good time to explain the current situation here a little better. We Americans are hard-pressed to find a good reason why the French are going crazy striking like this, but I think I have figured it out, at least to some degree. So, in short: what the government is trying to do is allow universities to receive funding from outside sources, as well as to give the president of each university a little more power. In other words, the universities would be a little more privatized, and a little more like the system that we know in the states. So why, you ask, are the students striking against more money and privatization, if they won't have to pay any more than they already do? What they are concerned about right now is the idea that if the universities become more independent from one another, certain universities will be held in higher regard than others when the time comes to apply for a job. The funny part about this is, that already happens. Bordeaux, for example, is known for having a pretty good university system. I believe Paris is, too. This is not to say that a degree from, say, Rennes carries a lot less weight than either of the previously mentioned locations, but there is a disparity, as between all American colleges and universities (though not quite so dramatic). I suppose that what they're worried about is the idea that this disparity might grow with any privatization, thereby making the difference significant. And, since the way to get yourself heard in France is to strike, strike they will.

I did hear a rumor today that classes are going to start up again at Bordeaux II (Psychology) as of Monday. Whether or not the students participating in the blockage will allow this to actually happen has yet to be determined. The main problem with this plan, though, is that students have not been notified (to my knowledge), so even if classes DO start again, there might not be anyone there. Unfortunately, we may have to make classes up - which means, in all likelihood, that I will be having Saturday classes. It also means that the exam will happen as planned.

Darn.

No comments: